- San Lucas is located three miles from the municipal seat of Santa Apolonia and has a population of 60 families.
- The primary productive activity in the village is agriculture. Corn and beans are the main crops, but they also grow potatoes, sweet peas, carrots, cauliflower and cabbage.
- There is public transportation every day to Santa Apolonia.
- When people need medical attention, they have to travel to the health center in Santa Apolonia.
- There is not a school in the community, so children walk three miles both ways every day to the nearest one.
- 50 percent of the population is Catholic and 50 percent is evangelical.
- Even if accessible during the whole year, almost 100 percent of their roads are unpaved.
We partnered with San Lucas from July of 2017 through June of 2019 to complete the following programs:
- Community Mobilization and Empowerment: Complete
- Water, Sanitation & Hygiene: Complete. The potable water system, efficient cook stoves, gray water filters, and sanitary latrines were installed between June 2016 and February 2017.
- Nutrition: Complete
- Food Security (Sustainable Agriculture): Complete
- Family Planning: Complete
- Disaster Risk Reduction: Complete
Photos by Javier Borrayo