Major Gifts Officer
Are you passionate about building relationships to further a nonprofit’s mission and vision? Do you want to be part of a small team that makes a difference? Is social justice important to you? ALDEA builds deep personal relationships with individual donors, family foundations, Rotary, and small to midsize granting organizations, facilitating creative and effective partnerships that make a profound difference on the ground in rural Guatemala. In the next three to five years, ALDEA intends to double its support to Guatemala through greater attention on major and planned gifts.
We are currently recruiting a Major Gifts Officer to join our organization. If the idea of designing and implementing a fund development strategy rooted in a major gift program excites you, this position is for you. This is a remote position and requires travel to Guatemala a minimum of twice per year. Either part time or full time employment is possible.
For more than fifty years, ALDEA (Advancing Local Development for Empowerment and Action) has been committed to empowering rural communities in Guatemala to solve challenging local development problems. We promote full community participation in increasing access to water and sanitation, improving childhood nutrition and family well-being, and ensuring that women, men, girls and boys find effective and energizing ways to work together to shepherd their communities toward a healthy, productive future.
ALDEA is a small US-based non-profit that provides the financial and program support to our sister organization, Asociación BPD, which implements community-based programs in Guatemala. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery about community engagement, ALDEA and ABPD are driving program excellence and improving the well-being of rural families. In the United States, ALDEA employs two multi-talented professionals who work closely together to oversee the administration of the organization as well as develop and implement donor driven fundraising strategies to a variety of donor markets. In Guatemala, ABPD has a staff of twelve and works in approximately fifteen villages per year.
As the Major Gifts Officer, you will:
- Develop a deep understanding of and commitment to the mission, programs, and values of ALDEA and ABPD
- Lead the organization in developing and implementing a plan to develop ALDEA’s long and short-term growth.
- Analyze donor database to determine who has the capacity to become a major donor
- Develop and execute cultivation plans for each prospective major donor
- Solicit and close major gifts.
- Serve as a primary liaison with the Executive Director of ABPD in Guatemala ensuring that US-fundraising efforts are aligned with program needs in Guatemala
- Work in collaboration with board members to solicit Major and Planned Gifts, with a special emphasis on those in the $50,000 to $250,000 range.
- Partner with ALDEA board members and staff to identify gift opportunities, make connections, and execute cultivation/solicitation strategies.
- Guide and inform donor stewardship efforts, events, prospect research, gift acknowledgment.
The knowledge, education and experience you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant course of study required; master’s degree preferred
- Seven or more years of professional experience in fundraising or related field, with at least three years in a fundraising leadership role
- Highly motivated, creative professional with knowledge of grassroots development experiences in Latin America required; knowledge of rural Guatemala preferred
- Team player, able to work both independently as a self-starter, and cooperatively with board members and staff in the U.S. and Guatemala
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience securing major and planned gifts
- Keen sense of personal integrity and discretion with handling sensitive information
- Knowledge of Donor Database systems preferred
- Strong Spanish language skills required
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please send cover letter, resume, and 3 professional references to ALDEAGuatemala@gmail.com by March 15, 2019.